I’m at the hospital for the beginning part of the day. I wanted to get a feel of what our medical team is doing day in and day out, but also I wanted some time to write, think, and pray. I’m not being much help here as far as medical knowledge and assistance is concerned, but I’m here primarily to let you know what is happening in the medical area of this mission trip.

We work in a local hospital in Soroti, performing mostly adenoid hypertrophies and tonsillectomies. Our surgeon, Dr. Robert Yarber is an ENT and so those kinds of surgeries are our main focus. We have the largest medical team this year of any years previous, totaling 8 members! Our surgeon of course, three certified nurses, –Ricky Gault an anesthesiologist and JoJo Keinke and Michelle Bain, regular nurses–, Melodie Estes, a general practitioner and herbalist, and four medical assistants who are not certified professionals but are qualified to help in various ways: Wes Yarber, Debbie Yarber, Bekah Estes, and Rachael Sutton.

Not all of them are at the hospital at all times, however, Melodie Estes and Michelle Bain are serving at our walk-up clinic today which has been set up at Nakatunya church near Hope. Wes Yarber is also there and will be back and forth between the clinic and Hope today. We were blessed with a very flexible team and a very multitalented team. But it’s not so much their gifts and abilities, as much as it is their willingness to serve in any capacity. The team didn’t come to sit, but to seek and to save and to serve however and whenever they could. It’s a special calling.

Great news! Vicki has arrived in Soroti! She has missed out on the blessings of the first few days that we received, but I believe God comforted and blessed her on her travels here. I’m sure she will make up for the loss of time and truly become a vital member of the children’s ministry; making a positive impact in the future of Uganda for Christ’s sake. We are joyful to be all together as a team, and pray God uses us as such: not as individuals for Him, but as a unified body.

The hospital is a very large complex of mostly one story structures and hundred of people are here during the days we perform surgeries. The surgery room was actually built by the British during the time they retained possession of the country and had not been used until the first year we came with a medical staff: 2014.

Interesting thing happened. I was outside on the porch of the building at the hospital in which we are working, just sitting on the concrete and writing down my thoughts. As I was there, one of the hospital staff told me it was not safe for me to sit there as I was too close to TB(tuberculosis) patients. I was told later just how contagious TB is because it travels through the air, so I’m very grateful for that man and God’s protection of me.

Well, I think I’ve gathered about as much information as I need on the hospital, or maybe it’s just that I’ve had about as much as I can take… I’ve had bad experiences with needles and blood. Anyway, I think I’ll head over to Hope and see how things are going there.

The work at Hope did not kick-off until I arrived. However, that was only because there was no paint with which to paint the front room. When the paint arrived we had just enough time before lunch to lay on the first coat of primer. After lunch Andrew took every available person with him to pick the corn from the field out back. Then came Okiru: the rain. Yes, we got rained out at Hope and the medical clinic at Nakatunya. We’re heading back to Akello because there really isn’t much left for us to do. On the way back, we dropped Michelle Bain, Wes Yarber, and Melodie Estes off at the hospital. Now for much needed rest before a big day tomorrow.

As always, thanks for reading.

–the anonymous novelist

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply